Hi, Thanx for your reply.
Donnie Berkholz wrote:
On Thu, 2003-11-13 at 16:54, spundun wrote:

I dont understand. I think kdrive is not related to xfree86.org .

You're a little misled here. kdrive started within xfree86.
Okkey, understood. Now later in this mail you are going to say that its a snapshot off the recent xserver from fd.o, then how is it in sync with XFree.org? what do you mean by "in sync with"?

<snip>
The other problem I've seen is that we should install all of the
libraries xserver requires to /usr/X11R6/, which would overwrite xfree's
files.

I think [EMAIL PROTECTED] can work with xlib etc components from XFree
project. Ask on their irc #xwin to confirm.

Apparently you didn't notice when you joined #xwin a couple of days ago
that I was in there.

heh, yeah I have been on many irc channels lately, mainly wasting mine and ppl's time, hoping to learn something btw. Now that you mention this, I will trust your word more ;) and be on the lokout for you next time I am online :)
No. The xfree86 libraries aren't autotooled (they use horrible imake),
cannot be built independently, and do not install *.pc files needed for
pkg-config.

I think what I heard was that you could just place the xserver binary alongside XFree setup and be able to use it. I really just heard it, I dont understand how its supposed to work, so I guess I will take your word for it that its not going to work.
(When compiling xserver/xlibs by hand, one typically installs to
/usr/local/.) So xserver/kdrive will need to change to an exclusive
build, instead of something that can be installed alongside xfree.

I dont understand the exact nature of the problem, but it seems trivial!
may be I am missing something,

The issue is that it should be installed to /usr/X11R6, according to
policy. Therefore, freedesktop.org's xlibs/xserver and xfree86 currently
cannot be installed at the same time.

Thats a worst reason ever! :)
I have ebuilds for most of the required things already (all of them as
of last time I build xserver, two weeks ago), available on
dev.gentoo.org/~spyderous/overlay/. Distfiles are available in the same
place.

Are they cvs snapshots? If yes, then what date? kdrive, or [EMAIL PROTECTED]?

<cool ebuild instructions snipped>

I'm going to be reworking those ebuilds over the next week or two, so be
aware that they may be changing somewhat drastically.

I will have to wait till thanks giving anyway, thats when I plan to buy my computer. :)
Ohh and btw, if you are reworking them, you might want to change the module name to xserver?
They are from freedesktop.org.

reference to my first comment.

Thanx
Spundun