On November 18, 2003 09:43, A. Craig West wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Nov 2003, Javier Gostling wrote:
> > Actually, Windows assumes the hw clock to be set to local time, so if you
> > set Linux to UTC, then Linux will mess your time. I had this happen some
> > time ago, and instructing Linux that the hw clock is in local time solved
> > the issue.
>
> I've never really understood why it is that Microsoft does not allow a UTC
> hardware clock. Because of daylight savings time, having the hardware clock
> set to localtime causes the actual hardware clock to be reset twice a year.
> This can result in flakiness with any process that happened to be waiting
> for a time to occur at that instant.
>
> My solution, which isn't particularly good, is to run any dual boot
> machines in UTC and tell windows that my timezone is Greenwich Mean Time,
> and set it to not adjust the clock for daylight savings. I would rather
> have to deal with times in GMT than have random intermittent flakiness.

Now that we are done the debate on M$ vs. linux I hope?

Does anyone know the answer to my original question.  Up until about a month
ago I was keeping good time both in windows and in gentoo with my hwclock set
to local.  Now for some reason everytime I boot gentoo it thinks that the
hwclock is set to UTC and corrects for that ie) it sets the time 8 hrs
earlier.  So where do I look other than rc.conf to correct this??