Marianne Taylor wrote:

> Does anyone know the answer to my original question.  Up until about
> a month ago I was keeping good time both in windows and in gentoo
> with my hwclock set to local.  Now for some reason everytime I boot
> gentoo it thinks that the hwclock is set to UTC and corrects for that
> ie) it sets the time 8 hrs earlier.  So where do I look other than
> rc.conf to correct this??

If at some point in the past, you booted the system with UTC in /etc/rc.conf
and then switched it to LOCAL and shut your system down.  It saved the
offset time as the local time.  Essentially, your system clock was set back
8 hours.  The only fix is to manually update the time yourself using 'date'.

Usage: date [MMDDhhmm[[CC]YY][.ss]]

Tom Veldhouse