> It doesn't matter, imap is imap as far as the mail reader is
> concerned.. Its a choice of Maildir to mbox really as far as
> the server.

IMHO, the RFC defining IMAP is not very well written and gives to
multiple different interpretations of how IMAP should be implemented.
Hence not all IMAP servers work well with all IMAP-capable clients.
Often IMAP server developers include little tweaks in order to recognise
ill-behaved (?) clients and 'talk' to them suitably. Courier-IMAP and
Cyrus are both good products.

Another aspect is the storage system. This is regardless of IMAP/POP. I
can think of three methods: maildir, mbox and databased. Maildir is
pretty solid in the sense that mail messages are stored in individual
files; personally I am currently playing with the database option (using
DBMail, which is not in Portage but it is very easy to compile and
setup).

A combination between any SMTP server (top 4 in no particular order:
Postfix, sendmail, exim and qmail) and Courier-IMAP or Cyrus will work
just fine. These are not configured quickly and fast, so get ready for a
bumpy ride. If you're looking for something simple and quick, take a
look at extremail (it is very easy to setup and in my experience,
rock-solid).

Cheers!
Chris