On 11/21/03  Jeffrey Smelser wrote:

> >    Anyone have an opinion (on this board? no way!) ;-) about whether
> > courier-imap or cyrus-imap would be a better choice for me?
>
> Courier seems to be better.. Faster.. I have used both.. cyrus uses
> the mbox format and your back to using huge files again  and the
> problems that go with it.

That's wrong, Cyrus is using it's own format which is neither mbox or
maildir. The major difference is that Cyrus doesn't permit direct access
to the mailboxes (they are stored in /var/spool/imap, not in $HOME and
users don't have access to it), you can only access it over POP or IMAP.
Personally I like that approach but if you want/need direct access to
your mailbox files Cyrus isn't designed for you. Which of them is faster
depends on your custom setup (especially harddisc setup), but from what
I heard Cyrus scales better.

HTH
Marius

--
Public Key at http://www.genone.de/info/gpg-key.pub

In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.