On Monday 24 November 2003 16:28, Andrew Gaffney wrote:
> Matthew Baxa wrote:

> >>Oh boy, that's a clear minus point for reiserfs..
> >
> > Um, all the Unix filesystems (ext2, ext3, ReiserFS, XFS, JFS, UFS) have
> > no undelete stuff.
>
> There was a program I used to use with ext2 before ext3 was big. I can't
> remember what it was called. You would add a 'LD_PRELINK' environment
> variable pointing at its dynamic lib that would override the unlink()
> function and move files into a protected environment. You could then run
> the associated utility to recover them. Also, it came with an *actual* ext2
> undelete program that worked pretty well.

I remember something like this too except the one I'm thinking of was simply a
script that would move the deleted data into a "recycle bin". If you wanted
to recover a file you would simply pull it from this bin. The only downside
is that there was some manual maintanence as the script didn't purge deleted
files--the author suggested setting up a cron job for this.