begin  quote
On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 22:19:09 -0800 (PST)
"POLAX" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> How are package optimizations specific to a particular package
> specified?

Easy. they aren't. Unless you do it in the commandline, portage doesn't
do it. Some packages wipe all CFLAGS or ignore them completely because
they break with all except -O2 , but we try to do as little as possible.

>   There are some package/flag combinations that don't work
> (-mno-push-args-maccumulate-outgoing-args -mno-align-stringops for
> reiserfstools).
>
> Have these all been tested and accounted for?

This made me laugh, which is quite strange cause I'm at home with severe
headache and fever.

NO. We -cannot- test the compile flags. In fact most developers simply
invalidate bugs from people with CFLAGS above the normal. Won't Even
Touch It until you rebuild your whole dependency-tree with less CFLAGS.

>  If not how can I specify different flags for different packages?

Commandline.
CFLAGS="-march=i386 -mcpu=i686 -O2 -pipe" emerge reiserfstools

Simple:
   by adding insane CFLAGS you shoot yourself into nomansland, and won't
   get support.

//Spider
--
begin  .signature
This is a .signature virus! Please copy me into your .signature!