On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 11:44:01 +0100, Spider wrote:

> begin  quote
> On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 22:19:09 -0800 (PST)
> "POLAX" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > How are package optimizations specific to a particular package
> > specified?
>

> Easy. they aren't. Unless you do it in the commandline, portage doesn't
> do it. Some packages wipe all CFLAGS or ignore them completely because
> they break with all except -O2 , but we try to do as little as possible.

Larry the Cow would not be impressed...he was told gentoo gave him "control over
the optimization settings and build-time functionality that HE wanted, rather
than what some distro creator thought would be best for him" :- (

This Larry the Cow likes insane CFLAGS optimizations!

This is sort of what the LFS (linuxfromscratch.org) boys told me...well no,
their motto is FBBG (Follow Book, Book Good).

I'm not one to blindly follow orders and I _DID_ manage to compile a stable
toolchain (binutils+gcc+glibc) with some pretty good optimization
(-march=pentium3 -O3 -mmmx -msse -mfpmath=sse).  Perhaps the days of these being
unstable when optimized are over and optimizing them is worth looking at again?
I really can't think of a package that would benfit overall system performance
from optimization more than glibc - it's used by EVERYTHING!

> >   There are some package/flag combinations that don't work
> > (-mno-push-args-maccumulate-outgoing-args -mno-align-stringops for
> > reiserfstools).
> >
> > Have these all been tested and accounted for?
>
> This made me laugh, which is quite strange cause I'm at home with severe
> headache and fever.
>
> NO. We -cannot- test the compile flags. In fact most developers simply
> invalidate bugs from people with CFLAGS above the normal. Won't Even
> Touch It until you rebuild your whole dependency-tree with less CFLAGS.
>

> >  If not how can I specify different flags for different packages?
>

> Commandline.
> CFLAGS="-march=i386 -mcpu=i686 -O2 -pipe" emerge reiserfstools

No sweat...as long as I can control the flags myself I can troubleshoot
individual packages myself no problem - provided portage will recognize the
install once I have a successful build.

> Simple:
>    by adding insane CFLAGS you shoot yourself into nomansland, and won't
>    get support.

That's what I'm told...maybe one day I'll let you see all the bullet holes I've
endured for successful builds :- )