On Saturday 29 November 2003 05:57, Vano Beridze wrote:
> I installed gentoo from stage 1 (took 1 day) with the following settings
>
> CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
> CFLAGS="-march=athlon-xp -O3"
> CXXFLAGS="-march=athlon-xp -O3"
>
> On the same machine with RedHat 9 (i386 packages)
> NetBeans 3.5.1(sun jdk 1.4.2_02) runs faster.
> What is the problem? Are my flags set incorrectly?

The biggest improvement in performance will come by adding
-fomit-frame-pointer to your flags. I would also suggest -O2. -O3 only brings
performance improvements in a few situations and can cause worse performance
in others.

Jason

P.S. Any information I didn't include above was simply a deterrant to people
that might answer your question.