Hi,

Am Samstag, 29. November 2003 16:31 schrieb Ulrich Rhein:
> Jason Stubbs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >>
> >> That won't actually change anything but remove three instructions from
> >> some function calls. The resulting performance improvement is
> >> practically insignificant.
> >
> > WTF? Have you tried it?
>
> Yes.

Shure? Compiling and timing one small program is no test.

> > Benchmarks give a 30% improvement across the board and
> > I must say there definately is a very noticable improvement to system
> > responsiveness.
>
> Entirely unrealistic.

Arguments? 30% is very optimistic, but I notice speed improvements too.

> > It may only remove three instructions from some function
> > calls, but it frees up a register or two allowing for better optimisation
> > in other ways.
>
> On x86, it's exactly one register (namely %ebp). I have tried it with
> gcc -S -O2 on a small project (~1.600 SLOC) of mine. In the functions in
> which %ebp is not used as frame pointer, it is not used at all.

So you tested it with one of your own programs and say we are telling shit? I
had my whole system compiled without this flag, then the only change was
adding it (and of course I recompiled my system). There was a noticable
performance boost. The desktop is much more responsive, not only in my
imagination.

> Could you point out some pieces of code where gcc does such an
> optimization?

No need for this. Just use google to get the answer.

> Gruß Uli

Grüße
vom Michael