On Sat, 2003-11-29 at 18:37, Ernie Schroder wrote:
> I don't have a variable speed fan on this box but I don't see temp as
> a problem as crashes occurr with the CPU 98% idle. CPU burn pushes
> the CPU to 52C after 15 minutes so I don't think that it could be
> heat as the last crash occurred at a CPU temp of 43 C. I'm thinking
> that perhaps my problem is gtk-gnutella that I recently upgraded at
> about the same time as the crashes started. Like you and your
> setiathome, I'll kill gtk-gnutella before bed and see what happens.
> Keep me posted on your progress.

Hi,
   Yes, not exactly the same problem, but quite similar outcomes. I
don't think I've crashed with setiathome running. I don't have
gtk-gnutella (or any p2p as far as I know) so it isn't that.

   Spider suggested awhile back that I look at the emerge logs. You
might do the same. One thing I noticed this evening while going through
them is that when doing an emerge -U jack-audio-connection-kit I got an
upgrade of gcc to 3.3.2-r2. This was on Nov. 2nd, which is sort of in
the time frame where I started to have some problems. This doesn't mean
much, but it makes me wonder is it really safe to change C compilers?

   I'll write back if I learn anything. I'm having a couple of other
problems with this machine that are slightly more perplexing right now,
so I've got my hands full for now...

Cheers,
Mark