On Monday 01 December 2003 08:13, Noir wrote:
> I am having some difficulties w/ installing Gentoo 1.4 & hope to get some
> help. The hdd partition is:
>
> /dev/hda1 (W2k/ FAT32)
> /dev/hda2 (boot +32M)
> /dev/hda3 (swap +512M)
> /dev/hda4 (root around 7GB)
>
> I was wondering how I could edit /boot/grub/grub.conf. When I log onto the
> shell I cannot find that file in that location.

It's not mounted by default as a precaution. So to edit it, do:
# mount /dev/hda2 /boot
# nano -w /boot/grub/grub.conf

> However, handhacking of the bootloader to enter the following make the
> booting fine:
>
> #kernel (hd0,1)/boot/kernel-gentoo-1.4* root=/dev/hda4
> #initrd (hd0,0)/boot/initrd-(TAB) gives initrd output
> #boot

This looks okay.

> But this hand-hacking also gives some error like not recognizing my boot
> partition & asking me to run efsck2 taking me to a single user mode.

This sounds like /etc/fstab is incorrect. You should have something like:

/dev/hda2               /boot   <fs>            noauto,noatime  1 1
/dev/hda4               /               <fs>            noatime                 1 1
/dev/hda3               none    swap    swap                    0 0
none            /proc           proc            defaults                        0 0
none            /dev/shm        tmpfs   defaults                        0 0

Jason