Reinhard Brandstädter wrote:
It came up in a discussion recently, how to uninstall packages and all reverse dependant packages as well.
How can this be achieved with portage? I know there is depclean but this does more than I want.

If you've got package A, A<-B, A<-C (x<-y meaning x depends on y) and you want to remove A, B and C should be removed too, given that there is no other package D<-C or D<-B

I think something like a dependancy counter would be great for each package. How does depclean decide which packages to remove?

I had written a Perl script a few months back when I switched from Gnome to fluxbox. It needs some work, but it works for the most part. I've been thinking about updating it, but I don't have Gnome, KDE, etc. to uninstall in order to test the script.

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=67118

--
Andrew Gaffney