Adam Mercer wrote:
Hi

I've made the plunge and installed kernel 2.6.0-test11 (along with
module-init-tools) and got everything working, however I am getting the
following error on boot, just after "* caching service dependancies..."

modprobe: FATAL: Module mousedev not found

which is understandable because mousedev is compiled into the kernel and
as such is not a module. Theres nothing in modules.autoload or
modules.conf about this module and running a modules-update doesn't
help.

Also, now with my 2.4.23 kernel I'm getting a similar error, during ALSA
setup

modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module mousedev

again, mousedev is compiled into the kernel, the mouse works fine under
both kernels.

Does anyone have any ideas why I'm having this error and any suggestions
on how to fix it.

grep -r mousedev /etc/hotplug

I'd guess you hav hotplug running? It's probably detecting your mouse being plugged in and trying to load the module. (and appearing at a seemingly unrelated position in your startup messages).

MAL