Tom Wesley wrote:

On Mon, 2003-12-01 at 20:16, Jonas Widarsson wrote:

I have an Acer Aspire 1703 SM laptop.
I think the HD is an ordinary one, like those in stationary computers.
I don't know much about how todays harddrives behave, so I'm wondering whether someone has recent experience in splitting the 80 GB primary fat23 partition (the only partition there is) so I can keep the existing winXP home install and install gentoo on the end of those 80 GB and then have a dual boot XP / Gentoo?

If so, what utility is recommended?

Jonas

I believe Windows XP can do this itself. If you right click on My
Computer, select Manage there is disk management in there. I don't have
an XP machine to hand, so I can't check.

Well, Couldn't do anything there.
Running XP home by default from Acer. Maybe that functionality is disabled...

Whilst you're there you'd be
better running XP on NTFS, as it really is quicker, but keep in mind the
relatively limited NTFS write support Linux currently has.

Well... XP home does not support NTFS.
Believe it or not. MS philosophy is great isn' it?

(If you need to share data between the XP and Linux it is very normal to
have an NTFS Windows partition, FAT32 data partition and ext2/3, reiser
etc for Linux.)

Sounds reasonable.

Maybe I should tell you that I have done this before, with disks a LOT smaller than this one and utilities bundled with the distro (mandrake).
This is why I'm a little careful. I am not so sure whether the drive size affects the result of a fips operation.

And that's why I would like to see someone already tested this on newer systems.
It took me some decent amount of time to setup the XP environment to suit my needs, so I wouldn't want to do that again unless I have to.