Andrew Gaffney wrote:

Jonas Widarsson wrote:

I have an Acer Aspire 1703 SM laptop.
I think the HD is an ordinary one, like those in stationary computers.
I don't know much about how todays harddrives behave, so I'm wondering whether someone has recent experience in splitting the 80 GB primary fat23 partition (the only partition there is) so I can keep the existing winXP home install and install gentoo on the end of those 80 GB and then have a dual boot XP / Gentoo?

Older Slackware Install CDs (and possible newer) distributed a utility called fips that could split a FAT16/32 partition.

http://www.igd.fhg.de/~aschaefe/fips/

Danke

However, I wonder if that software is up to date. They are talking windows 95 and stuff on that homepage. Does it work even though my harddrive is as big as 80 GB?

Jonas