anh le wrote:
-- Martin wrote:

You need to rescan your SCSI-Bus for new devices (USB-Devies use the SCSI structur of th kernel ...

I do that job with a script from SuSE ... it is called rescan-scsi-bus.sh

here is it :
   http://www.garloff.de/kurt/linux/rescan-scsi-bus.sh
or have a look at google to find it

I have downloaded the script and rescan scsi bus with it
but it get my system hang each time I run it,
I tried to run it several times

it works fine on my system ... but I use SCSI not for my primary harddisk (/ is mounted form IDE)
but I was wrong to tell you about it - I need it to get the firewire-devices ...

/dev/sda1 still not a valid block device

It is in Redhat /dev/sda1?
if you have other scsi-disks it might be somewhere else ... (OK, this might be a little stupid note ...)

I use 32MB Microlab memory stick, it work well with Redhat 8.0 I recompile the kernel with scsi support, usb support but it does'nt help
too
Any other idea?

- use the redhat kernel for gentoo
- check for differences in USB-section between your Kernel in Gentoo and the Redhat-Kernel
- use usbview or /proc/bus/usb/devices to gain more information about your usb-stick (expecially vendor and device id) to check internet or against kernel ...

it creates for you the nodes and makes them usable ... (or update to Kernel 2.6 there is a new system which is working well ...)

Kernel 2.6 is also a tip for firewire :-( I messed it up ...