Eric Paynter wrote:
Gentoo by default sources .bashrc from .bash_profile which is, of
course,  why I asked what shell he is using. If .bashrc isn't
getting run, then  perhaps he has a different shell without
realizing it.

Or perhaps he doesn't have a .bash_profile...

I have a .bash_profile, but i'm not sure if and which shell i'm using. I can only say this: i've installed gentoo. How can i fugure out which shell is set for my user and for the root account ?

The strange thing is that .bash_logout is always executed, but not
the .bashrc file. The .bashrc and .bash_profile permission bits
don't include the executable bit, and the .bash_profile contains this:

# /etc/skel/.bash_profile:
# $Header: /home/cvsroot/gentoo-src/rc-scripts/etc/skel/.bash_profile,v 1.10 2002/11/18 19:39:22 azarah Exp $

#This file is sourced by bash when you log in interactively.
[ -f ~/.bashrc ] && . ~/.bashrc