> > i2c: kernel; I had no idea there was an ebuild
>
> i2c 2.8.0+ needs you to make a small modification to the Makefile. Do
> you have any i2c errors in your logs when you access /dev/video0?

hmmmm...I hadn't thought about looking for them.  I will have to look at
this during the weekend.  Thanks for the tip.

> > modules.conf:  I haven't touched it.  For now I use a script I wrote
> > to load the modules.  I just thought it would be easier to edit that
> > to adapt to changes until I think the box is ready for
> every-day use.
> > When I do work on it, I would be happy to share it.
>
> The Gentoo-ish way of handling the ivtv options would be to create
> /etc/modules.d/ivtv, drop your configs in there, then run
> modules-update. Here's what I'm using:
>
> # WinTV PVR 350
> alias char-major-81 videodev
> alias char-major-81-0 ivtv
> alias /dev/v4l ivtv
> options ivtv debug=1
> options tuner type=21
> options msp3400 once=1 simple=1
> options saa7115
> add below ivtv msp3400 saa7115 saa7127 tuner
> post-install ivtv /usr/local/bin/test_ioctl -d /dev/video0 -u
> 0x3000 -p4
> post-install ivtv /usr/local/bin/test_ioctl -d /dev/video16 -u 0x3000
> post-install ivtv /usr/local/bin/test_ioctl -d /dev/video32 -u 0x3000

Yes, I know that it's helpful to modify modules.conf.  I just hadn't
done it yet, because I didn't necessarily want things to load on their
own until I'm happy with how everything is working.  For now, the scripts
are what I want.

Thanks, by the way, for posting that.  It'll make my life somewhat easier.

What do you prefer for playback?  My own preference is to use the box for
a variety of multimedia tasks, and specifically as a pvr, so mythtv seems
to be the best fit for it.

-rex