On Monday 15 December 2003 12:07, N. Owen Gunden wrote:
> I'd like to start using NPTL for at least wine, with hopes of seeing
> performance enhancement.
>
> As I understand it, here's what I need to do:
>
> - Install kernel 2.6.0-test11
> - Set the nptl USE flag
> - emerge glibc (2.3.2 ok?)
> - emerge wine

This would do it. I'm not sure if wine would need to be re-emerged but it
wouldn't hurt. As I understand it, NPTL is a different implementation of the
threading API rather than a different API altogether.

> I read somewhere that I should use GCC 3.3 (I'm using 3.2.3).  Is there
> any truth to this?  Is there any reason /not/ to upgrade GCC?

I don't think that gcc3.3 necessary for NPTL. gcc3.3 has other advantages
(better optimization and such) but does not work for some apps. Fortunately,
most (maybe all?) problem apps have patches in portage already.

> Do I need to re-emerge anything else?

That should be it. Also be aware that some apps don't work with NPTL. The only
one I have come across is app-i18n/canna but there are sure to be others.
Probably very few, though.

--
Regards,
Jason Stubbs