On Mon, Dec 15, 2003 at 01:38:18AM -0500, N. Owen Gunden wrote:
> I followed this procedure, but it hasn't been working out.  Problems I'm
> experiencing now include:
>  - The nvidia kernel module doesn't work (freezes during initialization)
>  - wine segfaults
>  - mplayer segfaults
>
> Note that I did these things carefully with testing in-between.  After
> upgrading the kernel (and re-emerging nvidia-kernel), all three of the
> above worked fine.  It seems that as soon as I emerged glibc with +nptl
> things started breaking.  I tried re-emerging wine and mplayer to no
> avail.

Well, I finally found the answer to my problems.  I needed to re-emerge
nvidia-glx (that's right--nvidia-glx, *not* nvidia-kernel!).  mplayer
works, wine works, xmms works.

Though I'm not overly impressed with wine's performance.  It's slower
than it was on 2.4 without nptl.  Though to be fair it doesn't seem to
be wine that's going slow, it's X that's hogging all the resources.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to get DGA to work in starcraft for
battle.net..

 - O