On Tue December 23 2003 20:41, Linux Gentoo wrote:
> Greetings all.  I am trying to install Gentoo, and not making progress.
> I have no idea what I am doing wrong.  I have used and installed Linux
> before, Debian & Mandrake, so I am not a total newbie, but by no means
> do I claim to be a master of the command line either.  Here is the deal.
>
> I have the x86 and the P4 optimized versions, live CDs, both CDs for
> each.  I have tried installing on two different computers, and from
> stage 1 and from stage 2.  I end up with the same result:
>
> couldn't download portage-2.0.49-r4.tar.bz2. aborting
>
> I have the PDF install instructions printed out and I am following along
> with them.  I assume I must be reading something wrong, skipping a
> section or just a plain idiot....
>
> When I do the following commands -->
>
> tar -xvjf /mnt/cdrom/snapshots/portage-20030911.tar.bz2 -C
> /mnt/gentoo/usr
>
> cp -R /mnt/cdrom/distfiles /mnt/gentoo/usr/protage/distfiles
>
> cp -a /mnt/cdrom/packages /mnt/gentoo/usr/portage/packages
>
> --> suppose to arrange things so that I don't need to download this
> portage file?  I've tried installing 5 times now, sure that I was just
> missing a step.  Whatever it is, I keep right on missing it.
>
> Can someone please knock me on the side of the head?
> Thank you very much.
> Adrian

tar -xvjpf /mnt/cdrom/stages/stage3-*.tar.bz2
tar -xvjpf /mnt/cdrom/snapshots/portage-20030911.tar.bz2 -C /mnt/gentoo/usr
cp -R /mnt/cdrom/distfiles /mnt/gentoo/usr/portage/distfiles
cp -a /mnt/cdrom/packages /mnt/gentoo/usr/portage/packages
mount -t proc proc /mnt/gentoo/proc
cp /etc/resolve.conf /mnt/gentoo/etc/resolv.conf
chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash

mine stage 3 is portage-20030731
--
Chris