Ok, so I tried installing from stage 1 first, because I wanted to build
my system from nothing.  I didn't realize I *had* to have internet
connection so when I entered

scripts/bootstrap.sh

I got the error message about not being able to download portage.

So then I started with stage two, and after I untared it I entered

scripts/bootstrap.sh

I got the error message about not being able to download portage.

So then I got my crap together, and tried to go from stage 3.  So I
untared it, and since I had read the instructions -- hell, even
highlighted the commands -- I knew what to do next.  I entered

scripts/bootstrap.sh

I got the error message about not being able to download portage.

Well duh....

Just goes to show, there is a difference between *reading* the f---ing
manual, and *understanding* the f---ing manual.

Oh well.  I'm learning.  After that, my Gentoo install went pretty well.
 I still have one problem which I will be posting about soon, but over
all I'm very pleased with Gentoo so far.  Looks like a great distro.

Adrian

--

   On The Fly Photography
     http://204EastSouth.com