We've all (except me ;)) been that total idiot. Tell us what you did so that we won't fall into the same trap in a similar situation.

Linux Gentoo wrote:
> Ok, I found my mistake.  As I suspected I was reading the directions
> "wrong" shall we say.  Almost everything is good, and I have a system
> that is close to working the way I want.  I won't tell you what my
> mistake was because I'm a total idiot....
>
> Thanks
> Adrian
>
> On Thu, 25 Dec 2003 22:46:59 -0600
> Scott Jackson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote the words:

If you want to install without an internet connection you should use
the Stage3 tarball and the GRP CD-ROM, I believe. I also believe the
installation instructions go over how to install internet-less. PS:
Watch out for genkernel... it's a killer. if you have any problems I
suggest consulting the email list first and then converting your
"append" line in your lilo.conf to append = "init="
but this is assuming you install first, then crash, then reboot, then
look on the list archives, then ask someone more experienced than me,
then follow my instructions. It's documented, trust me.

On Thu, 25 Dec 2003 20:58:11 -0700
Linux Gentoo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I still get the same thing:

'Couldn't download portage-2.0.49-r4.tar.bz2. Aborting.'

I assume it is possible to install Gentoo on a computer that is not
on a network/internet.  Can someone please explain how?

Thank you.
Adrian

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 09:12:31 -0600
Chris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote the words:

On Tue December 23 2003 20:41, Linux Gentoo wrote:

Greetings all.  I am trying to install Gentoo, and not making
progress. I have no idea what I am doing wrong.  I have used and
installed Linux before, Debian & Mandrake, so I am not a total
newbie, but by no means do I claim to be a master of the command
line either.  Here is the deal.

I have the x86 and the P4 optimized versions, live CDs, both CDs
for each.  I have tried installing on two different computers,
and from stage 1 and from stage 2.  I end up with the same
result:

couldn't download portage-2.0.49-r4.tar.bz2. aborting

I have the PDF install instructions printed out and I am
following along with them.  I assume I must be reading something
wrong, skipping a section or just a plain idiot....

When I do the following commands -->

tar -xvjf /mnt/cdrom/snapshots/portage-20030911.tar.bz2 -C
/mnt/gentoo/usr

cp -R /mnt/cdrom/distfiles /mnt/gentoo/usr/protage/distfiles

cp -a /mnt/cdrom/packages /mnt/gentoo/usr/portage/packages

--> suppose to arrange things so that I don't need to download
this portage file?  I've tried installing 5 times now, sure that
I was just missing a step.  Whatever it is, I keep right on
missing it.

Can someone please knock me on the side of the head?
Thank you very much.
Adrian

tar -xvjpf /mnt/cdrom/stages/stage3-*.tar.bz2
tar -xvjpf /mnt/cdrom/snapshots/portage-20030911.tar.bz2 -C
/mnt/gentoo/usr cp -R /mnt/cdrom/distfiles
/mnt/gentoo/usr/portage/distfiles cp -a /mnt/cdrom/packages
/mnt/gentoo/usr/portage/packages mount -t proc proc
/mnt/gentoo/proc cp /etc/resolve.conf /mnt/gentoo/etc/resolv.conf
chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash

mine stage 3 is portage-20030731
--
Chris