Ok... first problem.  Let me walk you through what I have completed so far

1. I emerged djbdns
2. I ran the dnscache and tinydns-setup config scripts
3. I ran 'rc-update add svscan default
4. rebooted

after dealing with some permission errors (I forgot to change the group and
owner of the log dirs) all seems to go well. (however a ps -A shows
"supervise" running in six different proc)

5. Changed /etc/init.d/net.lo ip and gw to 192.168.0.0
6. Changed /etc/hosts to include a second entry for 192.168.0.0 that reads
machinename.my-FQDN

(however when I boot the machine it still says machinename.localhost)

7. following the instructions at http://www.lifewithdjbdns.com I get the part
about editing the data for tinydns and the example it gives is

#define the authoritative nameserver
    .example.com::ns1.example.com
    #mail exchanger
    @example.com::mail.example.com
    #IP for machine1,2,3,4,5
    =machine1.example.com:1.2.3.1
    =machine2.example.com:1.2.3.2
    =machine3.example.com:1.2.3.3
    =machine4.example.com:1.2.3.4
    =machine5.example.com:1.2.3.5
    #machine5 is also known as ns1
    +ns1.example.com:1.2.3.5
    #machine1 is our mailserver
    +mail.example.com:1.2.3.1
    #and our webserver
    +www.example.com:1.2.3.1

My question is... is the IP addy my private network IP (192.168.0.0 )  or my
static IP addy?

On Saturday 03 January 2004 11:52, Greg Bolshaw wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-01-03 at 19:22, Steve B. wrote:
> > I heard that bind is horrible at security, and my goal is to create a
> > secure enviorment.
>
> Agreed, BIND doesn't have a very good history when it comes to security.
>
> > So.. are there any detailed HOWTO's for setting up DJBDNS on gentoo?  I
> > have looked at the DJBDNS website, but was a little lost.  I have read
> > about bind, but the more I read, the more I get confused.
>
> Not specifically for Gentoo, but take a look at
> http://www.lifewithdjbdns.com/.
>
> If you're still struggling, post any questions back here, or mail me
> directly and I will be happy to help.
>
> Kind regards

- --

Perhaps human's greatest vanity is the belief
that there is only one way to the divine.
(Scott Cunningham)