On Tue, 2004-01-13 at 02:34, Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
> If blender were to have a lot of dependencies, how would you keep the ~x86
> versions from being installed (assuming blender would run with the x86
> versions)?

Here's what you do: Let's say bender has the following dependencies, as
reported by emerge:

        jibber  0.15.2
        foo     1.4
        bender  3.0

But you want brand spanking new bender 4.0! You'll use ~arch, of course:

        jibber  0.17.4
        foo     1.5
        bender  4.0

So the question you're posing is, do I really need to take the ~arch
upgrades of jibber and foo? Answer: let it decide.

1. emerge everything up to but not including the thing you really want,
bender, but NOT using ~arch

2. then emerge what you want, but this time using ~arch. IF it needs to
upgrade something (because of a required minimum version higher than is
in arch) then it will - but it will otherwise leave things with
sufficiently high versions alone.

Assuming (for example purposes) that ~arch bender 4.0's ebuild knows it
can get away with foo >=1.4 but requires jibber >=0.16 ... then you get:

1.

        $ emerge foo

gets you

        jibber  0.15.2
        foo     1.4

2.
        ACCEPT_KEYWORDS=~arch emerge bender

gets you

        jibber  0.17.4
        bender  4.0

but leaves foo 1.4 alone because it's "good enough"

So that's your mix of ~arch stuff, but only where needed.

All assumes that the dependencies in the ebuilds are well written.

AfC
--
Andrew Frederick Cowie
Operational Dynamics Consulting Pty Ltd

Australia +61 2 9977 6866   North America +1 646 472 5054

http://www.operationaldynamics.com/