If Roy can't solve it for you, I fooled around with an old digital(p200
pro's) server once with a Knoppix CD.  It seemed to detect everything ok
and let me format the scsi drives, etc..

That may be an option for you.  Installing from knoppix or any other
distro is not that difficult as long as itruns a new enough kernel that
allows you to chroot to the gentoo file strucure.  Tomsrootboot no
longer will.

Hope this helps.