I recently installed Gentoo on a Compaq (there is very little differences
between the Compaq and HP laptops, other than the name on the case). The
install went pretty smoothly. The only odd thing I had to do was turn of
"legacy support" for USB in the BIOS. Other than that, it was a pretty
standard install. It even liked my display (1280x1024 instead of the
standard 1024x768).

Good luck,
Roy