On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 18:06:47 +0100 Jakub Krajcovic
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
| Well, i personally agree to what Collins said in the first mail. I
| really do think that the problems with the (supposedly) less-stable
| 2.6 kernels less common.

If you think 2.6.x kernels are stable, try using an unpatched 2.6.1
kernel with a GB or Japanese (or possibly German) keyboard.

| And people, how did you come to the conclusion that mostly
| "kernel-knowedgeable" people use the 2.6 series?? I mean, i don't
| think of myself as Mr Lamer, i can't hack the kernel in one afternoon
| either (that was probably a bit uptight, but i hope you get the
| picture).

Most people who haven't built a kernel before seem to follow the install
guide and pick a 2.4.x kernel. By "kernel knowledgeable", I'm just
meaning people who have done a few kernel builds before and can
manage the configuration and make sequence without needing extensive
documentation. I'd be surprised if people who had never done their own
kernel build were diving straight in with 2.6.x (and if they are, we
have a problem). A lot of the 2.4.x questions that are asked here are
related to user misconfiguration (hey, our docs aren't perfect yet...)
rather than things that are actually wrong with the kernel.

I'm ignoring the recent gentoo-sources screwups -- this isn't the right
mailing list for discussing *that* issue...

| I think that the main reason why to use the 2.6 kernel is the
| performance increase especially in X, and the overall speed and i
| daresay stability. And unless someone really plans to do weird shit
| with the kernel, i doubt he will come across some significant
| problems...

Such as non-US keyboards being totally broken, you mean? :) (If anyone
cares, this is fixed in 2.6.2-rc2.) Oh, and then there's that whole
nvidia issue, which we can't even *try* to fix because they won't give
us the source...

--
Ciaran McCreesh
Mail:    ciaranm at gentoo.org