Matthew Kennedy said:
> Check if your choice of FTP server software (and perhaps the
> client??) supports the LFS API (large file support).  Possibly you
> may need to specify "lfs" in your USE.

Doesn't look like either support it:

 U I [ Found these USE variables in : net-ftp/proftpd-1.2.9_rc2 ]
 + + ldap     : Adds LDAP support (Lightweight Directory Access
Protocol)
 + + pam      : Adds support PAM (Pluggable Authentication Modules)
 - - postgres : Adds support for the postgresql database
 + + mysql    : Adds mySQL support
 + + ssl      : Adds support for Secure Socket Layer connections
 + + tcpd     : Adds support for TCP wrappers
 - - ipv6     : Adds support for IP version 6

 U I [ Found these USE variables in : net-ftp/ftp-0.17-r3 ]
 + + ssl : Adds support for Secure Socket Layer connections

>  Also, is your FTP dir on NFS?

Negative. All direct-attached storage.

It's starting to point towards proftpd now so I'm going to wander
over to their support and see if I find anything. Thanks everyone
for your help!

-Eric

--
arctic bears - email and name services
25 email [EMAIL PROTECTED] CA$11.95/month