I believe teh 3:41 is the device designation. When I've seen that on my SCSI it's something like 8:3. It thinks the kernel is on device 3:41. Was /boot mounted when you built the kernel and did you build the drivers for the boot device into the kernel?

Everything seems to go pretty much flawlessly until I get to point where I
reboot my system for the first time.  Now I have the error:

   ext2-fs: ide0(3,65) couldn't mount because of unsupported features (4).
   kernel panic: ufs: unable to mount root fs on 03:41

I'm assuming 03:41 is the time stamp, since that matches.

The only ext2 filesystem is on /dev/hda1 (boot) The only hd markers are