Grendel wrote:
On Mon, 9 Feb 2004, Mike Williams commented thusly,

- Is there some distribution-specific scripts/apps to handle addition
and removal of hardware (scanner, printer...)?

Not to my knowledge.

I too am a user about to install gentoo, I have been postponing it till I
get some good old scottish whisky to put me in the mood, I am kind of feeling sentimental about having toi kick mandrake out :)

With regard to this aspect of the question, surely gentoo must handle this hardware detection and installation of necessary drivers well? The livecd which I booted into recognised all my hardware and loaded the ethernet card so I had a network connection working, so the base system which we install to the hdd must have some kind of auto detection, otherwise do we have to type the alias eth0 rtl8139too commands manuall to the /etc/modulesxxx files?

Thats only the livecd. For your real install, you will need to: - Compile support for your network card into the kernel - Add it to modules.autoload if you compiled it as a module - Configure /etc/conf.d/net for DHCP or static IP.

I don't understand what is meant by the original question (scanners/printers). Are you asking if there is an autoconfiguration method? If so, not natively as part of gentoo. However, a well configured system (even default configurations) will handle the addition/removal of devices like this well, e.g.:
- If you use hotplug, it will load the printer module when you plug in your printer, and remove it when its disconnected
- If you try and print before the printer is connected, CUPS will queue the job and wait until the printer appaers
- You can't scan unless your scanner is plugged in

Or did I misunderstand the question?

Daniel