On Wed, 11 Feb 2004, The awesome and feared Dennis Robertson commented thusly,

> in module-init-tools and have tried the downgrade suggestion with no effect.
> I added an option via82xx something to modules.d/alsa as suggested in

Why do you need a via option a7n8x is NOT a VIA board, it depends on
nforce2 for its audio.

> I have an asus a7n8x deluxe mobo with intel8x0 and via82xx sound. I am using

No the above information is wrong, the a7n8x deluxe depends on the
nforrce2 mcp-t2 chip to give out audio.  the nvidia driver is better
than the intel810 driver. The nforce 2 audio is excellent quality it
has 6.1 surround sound with all the major 3d standards, its the best on
board audio standard I have seen, the only thing which produces better
sound in my opinion is the  audigy card.

> Can anyone suggest a fix please?

Well if you visit the nvidia site <www.nvidia.com> they have a nvaudio
driver for your nforce2 southbridge, ie hte package contains nvnet for the
ethernet and nvaudio for the nforce2.

I suggest you install it. Just forget about alsa support it has buggy
drivers and if your OSS driver supports duplex and channel mixing (my
emu10k1 does), then there is really no need to encumber yourself with
alsa. Just make and install the driver then put the following

alias sound-slot-0 nvaudio

into your modules.conf file (or whatever gentoo uses) and you should be
done.

Alsa still has a long way to go, and sometimes it isnt worth it. For
example alsa doesnt supprt my audigy 2 card as well as the emu10k1 OSS
driver.

Bye,
Grendel

--
Hi, I'm a signature virus. plz set me as your signature and help me spread
:)