On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 04:39 pm, Brendan Sullivan wrote:

> i also have a suggestion that is possibly obvious...but sometimes is
> overlooked...If you run your network, mouse cables, etc too close to
> your speaker wires (either interconnects or the signal cables from your
> amplifier to your speakers), you will get noise from those. Power wires
> are especially bad near signal cables. Try to isolate your speaker's
> wires as much as possible from all the other wires in the veritable
> jungle that exists behind most of our machines.

Thanks, Brendan, but nothing has changed in my physical setup all along. Sound
worked before kde3.2 but is rs now. Also it was acknowledged on bugzilla that
modules-init-tools-3.0_pre9, which was loaded with kde3.2, caused some fatal
module notices on boot, along with the noise I have. The suggested fix
(downgrade to _pre5) removed the fatal notices but did not cure the sound. As
for turning speakers off, I have, but they work unpowered. OK, next step pull
out the speaker lead. I'd rather there was a real fix. Regards.
--
Dennis Robertson  2/2 Sylvia Street Noosaville QLD Australia
Phone: 61 7 54742343  Mobile: 0419 535539