On Wed, 11 Feb 2004, The awesome and feared Collins Richey commented thusly,

> The cure for this is simple, but not quick, and permanent.
>
>       unmount /dev/hdxn (if mounted)
>       mke2fs -j /dev/hdxn
>       tune2fs -c 0 -i 0 /dev/hdxn
>       reinstall software on /dev/hdxn
>
> I encountered exactly this same problem.  reiserfs lost its marbles
> after changing unrelated partitions via fdisk, and there was no way to
> use the reiserfs partition again.
>
> So, I reverted to ext3, and I will never touch reiserfs again.  ext3
> doesn't loose its marbles.

NOOOO! Please DONT install ext3, ext3 is just a ext2 file system with
journalling support. ext2 is a slow file system and ext3 is even slower,
it also has to keep a kjournald thread running taking up your CPU.

Ext2 is so badly designed that although we know that journalling file
systems have additional overhead that non journalling filesystem, but
although ext2 is a non journalling file system, it cant even match up to
journalling file systems like reiserfs or XFS.

PLease dont use a slow decadent file system like ext3.

If you want the fastest performance ie you are handling large files then
XFS is the best. Second would be reiserfs. Reiserfs is a btree based file
system and its weakness is that it is slow when it comes to handling a
large amount of small files at once. Say like rm -rf a directory
containing  thousands of 100 byte files.

Reiserfs is a stable file system, if you run a 2.4.20 or above kernel
reiserfs should be stabler than ext3.

A lot of major sites use reiserfs so dont let people make you think that
reiser is unstable, its wrong. Reiserfs is used as the default file system
for suse and lindows. Sourceforge uses it.

<http://www.namesys.com/testm.html>

Bye,
Grendel

--
Hi, I'm a signature virus. plz set me as your signature and help me spread
:)