On Wed, 11 Feb 2004, The awesome and feared Ciaran McCreesh commented thusly,

> | Ext2 is so badly designed that although we know that journalling file
> | systems have additional overhead that non journalling filesystem, but
> | although ext2 is a non journalling file system, it cant even match up
> | to journalling file systems like reiserfs or XFS.
>
> Complete bs.

Just read the widely respcted and often quoted benchmark link I posted
earlier.

> | Reiserfs is a stable file system, if you run a 2.4.20 or above kernel
> | reiserfs should be stabler than ext3.
>
> Also bs. It's better than it was, but it's nowhere near as well tested
> as ext3.

Well then please explain why sourceforge runs the ftp server and CVS
server on it and other big sites use it if it is so unreliable. Ext3 is
relatively a new filesystem which was buggy as hell just a few years back,
reiserfs and XFS have been indevelopment for far more time. XFS is a very
old and trusted system and reliable system.

So just dont say that ext3 is more well tested than Reiserfs or XFS it is
wrong.

> | Sourceforge uses it.
>
> That might explain why sourceforge's cvs is broken so frequently...

Its unlikely to be a file system problem, there FTP server is also run
using reiserfs and its ok.

Generally a lot of the problems that people have said that are reiser bugs
are infact due to buggy hardware.

I will also state that I am not a file system guru, but I know that when I
used XFS as my root partition the startup time for linux was cut down by
1/4 of the time it took for the same virgin distro to bootup using ext3.

Grendel.

--
Hi, I'm a signature virus. plz set me as your signature and help me spread
:)