gabriel wrote:

k, i guess i'm still very much in the dark on the topic of audio in linux, but can someone explain to me what i'm missing in the following logic?

i have a soundblaster live value card which (as far as i know) is very much capable of mixing multiple channels of audio. does this mean that i should have multiple copies of /dev/dsp? (ie. dsp1 dsp2 etc.) and do i need arts then? if i don't, how do i disable it forever in kde?

Yes, its capable of multiple opens, no you done need multiple /dev/dsp's, it should just work.

The kde control panel has arts settings IIRC. I dont really use kde on a regular basis.

all i want is to be able to play video/mp3 files and play flash movies with reasonable performance kde, but even on this sweet athlon 2500 w/ 512mb ram, i've not been able to get that. please tell me i'm missing something.

Well, I have similar hardware, and have no issues with it. What kernel are you running? I'm using 2.6.3 with alsa drivers.

Does doing any single one of these tasks work? IE: Can you play mp3's fine? When does everything get slow? If you think its kde related, try a simpler window manager and see how things work there.

--

Mental ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

GPG public key: http://www.neverlight.com/pas/Mental.asc