On Thursday 06 January 2005 05:01 pm, Marc Ballarin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 14:07:05 -0800 (PST)
> death rince <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I was browsing through benchmarks of Reiserfs and
> > other filesystem when I came across this,
>
> If you want to find the best all-purpose filesystem use a proven
> benchmark like bonnie, bonnie++ or tiobench.
> If you have a specific application, just benchmark the real thing.

I agree.

> If you're running an average desktop system, simply choose ext3, xfs or
> reiserfs(with "notail"). The quality of the kernel's IO-scheduling will
> outweight any filesystem differences anyway.

I like reiserfs WITHOUT notail, I've experienced *large* disk usage
savings.  Then again, I don't have the 10k (or even 1k) of messages talked
about on this list.

> If you are doing video *recording* (especially multiple streams at once)
> choose XFS. All other filesystems suffer enormously when doing
> simultaneous streaming writes.

ReiserFSv4 does not show this slowdown.  However, encoding and reiserfs are
both CPU intensive, so XFS may still be a better choice.  [In fact, I have
yet to see a benmarks pitting reiserfs4 directly against xfs or jfs.]

--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]