Neil Bothwick wrote:
The easiest way to find where to set the option, and what it depends on,
is to run make menuconfig, press / and type in 'bt848'. It Tried this on
two machines and it showed the location of the BT848 setting on both, even
though it didn't show up in the options on one of them because I2C wasn't
enabled.

Now, that's a nice tip-- although I'm using xconfig (stupid SuSE/I somehow broke ncurses-devel, so menuconfig won't run), I discovered (by reading the Help=>Introduction in xconfig that "toggling Debug Info for any option will show the dependencies", and so when I did that and then checked BT848 (had I2C not been enabled by default in this kernel, I could have turned on "Show all options" to reveal it), I got this expanded output:

BT848 Video For Linux (VIDEO_BT848)

type: tristate
prompt: BT848 Video For Linux
   dep: VIDEO_DEV && PCI && I2C && SOUND
select: I2C_ALGOBIT
   dep: VIDEO_DEV && PCI && I2C && SOUND

Admittedly, that looks a bit like gibberish to me, but at least it would provide a trail to follow.

Thanks, Neil, very good to know that this is something you can do with at least two of the kernel config frontends (I'm sure you can do it with gconfig and config also, just don't know how, and don't so much need to).

Holly