Tony Boom wrote:
Hello Nick,

Sunday, January 16, 2005, 12:31:23 AM, you wrote:

NR> I assume it fails in both cases then?

It does, and these are the outputs from the commands you gave me.

gentoo root # xawtv -c /dev/v4l/video0

This is xawtv-3.86, running on Linux/i686 (2.6.10-gentoo-r4)
Xlib: No protocol specified

Error: Can't open display: :0.0

gentoo root # xawtv -hwscan

This is xawtv-3.86, running on Linux/i686 (2.6.10-gentoo-r4)
Xlib: No protocol specified

Error: Can't open display: :0.0

First of all, does it work if you run it as a user? What are you running xawtv as root for anyway? Put your user in the (video/tv/whatever seems relevant to this) groups, and see if it works then.

If you must run it as root, the user could open xhost before su-ing to root, to give root access to the X server.

If that doesn't work, I'm suspecting The PAM Bug, but I am willing to be corrected.

HTH,
Holly