John Dangler ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) scribbled:
> Is anyone here running qmail on gentoo 2.6.10 ?
> I've been trying for the better part of 8 hours to get sendmail to run with
> no luck.  The tech at my isp said that qmail would be a lot simpler and
> easier to get up and running.  I need to get a mail system running on this
> box!

I had qmail running on gentoo for over a year and a half as my home
mailserver.  I recently moved to a location where they block incoming and
outgoing port 25 TCP traffic.  In the end, it was just easier to switch
to postfix.  Here's what I did:

emerge -Ca qmail

emerge -av postfix

adjust use flags.

setup main.cf according to postfix.org docs.

adjust setup using dyndns.org docs for mailhop relay and outbound.

Total time, about an hour.  As opposed to two weeks screwing around with
qmail and googling for unsuccessful hacks.

Don't get me wrong, qmail is great and worked fine, but it's a bitch to
configure (how many files are there?), the config files are in
non-standard locations, and djb's wierd license hurts qmail.  I found
several occassions where a patch to qmail would be referenced to fix my
problem, and the webpage had "No longer providing patches for qmail".
In the end, switching to postfix was the path of least resistance for
what I was trying to do.

ymmv.

Cooper.