On Sunday, the 16th of January, Peng thusly spake:

On 01/16/05 18:13, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

On Sunday, the 16th of January, Peng thusly spake:

B means "do a hard reboot"
O means "do a hard poweroff"

There are more options, but these are useful for system lockups.

It's advisable to wait a bit after the S and U combinations so they can complete.

Yep. I enabled it in the new kernel I'm compiling. How long would you say I would have to wait for the syncing and unmounting to finish? And what exactly is a "hard" reboot? Not letting everything happily shut down?

How long? Depends on the number of filesystems and the system load.

You can try "sync" on a normal system on the console to see how long it takes. Normally it's well under a second.

I wait 2-3 seconds just to make sure.

Remember, after a Kernel Panic or Oops the state of the system is what they so euphemistically call "undefined", so the unmounting might actually fail, but it's still better than just flicking the switch.

A "hard" reboot or poweroff is quite similar to pressing the reset and power buttons ;)

I have another problem, though... My Gentoo live CD is not working. I put it in right when the computer turns on, but nothing happens. It doesn't boot. Doesn't boot from the hard drive, either. My old Knoppix CD still works, though. And I know this CD used to work fine... It is the one I used to install Gentoo in the first place. No scratches or anything. Well, there is a tiny nick on the edge of the CD, but it's on the top side, so it should not matter.

Can't help you there, but I can put a <shameless plug>:

Check out GRML from http://grml.org it's a Knobbix/Debian based live CD where they ripped out KDE and OOo and filled the space with loads of *very*
nifty command-line apps and some lightweight GUIs.

It's really cool IMO.
</shameless plug>

:)
        Peter G.

-- "I do not think the way you think I think."
-- Kai, last of the Brunnen G