Richard Foltyn wrote:
Hi,

There are dozens of HTTP mirrors for Gentoo, just look at
http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/mirrors.xml and find several close to you.

Google must not search mirror sites? Why? How? Nevermind...

Then add them to your /etc/make.conf using the GENTOO_MIRRORS option.

This could look something like this:
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://gentoo.inode.at/ ftp://gentoo.inode.at/source/
ftp://ftp.uni-erlangen.de/pub/mirrors/gentoo
ftp://sunsite.cnlab-switch.ch/mirror/gentoo "

Maybe you should emerge sync as well, since portage seems to try
downloading already outdated files.

You miss my point... having different mirrors makes no difference - it is not trying to download from a mirror, it is trying to download from imagemagick.org. My portage tree is perfectly up-to-date as, if you have a look at the latest stable imagemagick ebuild, it is for 6.1.8.8. This file is not on the imagemagick site.
Any other ideas?
Cheers
Antoine