Tres Melton wrote:

Dave,
Alright, I fought with this for a while when I set my system up so let
me try again. I added the xhost line way back when I used Redhat and it
seems to migrate from system to system with me. That was back in the
early days of Gnome and I was using FVWM and it did fix that problem.
This highlights the BIGGEST problem that I have with Linux: you only
have to fix things once! You dig and dig until you fix something and
then you never have to look at it again so it doesn't stay in your
memory, it gets swapped out to somewhere and I have yet to figure out
how to make my brain swap things like that back in.

Gee if you find out how to swap back into your brain - drop me a line :-) !

Since your "cannot open display" is preceded with "Gtk-WARNING" I
started to look into the Gnome (which uses GTK) settings.  What is the
value of the line "#DisallowTCP=true" in your /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf
file?  Although I have a few copies of older files I don't have any that
are not commented out but I distinctly recall fscking with it before.  I
should also mention that you may need to tweak your firewall settings to
prevent unwanted connections to your X server (although I think that the
GTK part of the error message indicates a bonobo connection) as you are
about to weaken part of your systems security.  You may still need the
xhost command as well (it is still in my config scripts).

Another thing that you might try, at least to see what happens, is
ssh'ing into your system. I know that ssh should (can?) be set up to
forward X11 connections. What happens if you "su" and then try it? If
you "sux" and then try it?

Unfortunatley this system is not set up for ssh, my other one is but no cdburner there !
I could look into setting this one up to as an experiment ...

One last point, when I replied to you the first time it didn't make it
to the list because your Reply-To: line pointed to you and not the list
and I didn't notice it. You are not the only person and I don't know if
this is due to qmail's mailing list manager or an individuals mail
client. Mine emails have the list name in both To: and Reply-To: fields
and I use evolution. What is your email client?

Ah easy one, Mozilla 1.7.3

------------------------------------------------ LATER ---------------
OK, I should have started here! When I ran it as me it told me it wasn't
configured.  I then tried sudo xcdroast and got the same error that you
did.  I then su'd to root and ran it and then clicked run in non-root
mode and it told me that it did this in a window:

/bin/chown root /usr/lib/xcdroast-0.98/bin/xcdrwrap
/bin/chmod 4755 /usr/lib/xcdroast-0.98/bin/xcdrwrap

I then added myself as a user (in the setup window as root), defined a
temporary directory for cd images, saved the config, exitted, exitted
su, reran xcdroast as me, saved a config for myself and all seemed to
work at that point (without the need for sudo, su, or sux).  Didn't have
a need to burn anything tonight though.

Yep I tried that one to, It all looked AOK till I tried to burn then the dreaded error :-(

Good Luck,
Tres