> > On a side note, this problem would be a little less severe if I could
> > restart the printer without being root.  Can anyone provide a hint for
> > that?
>
> use sudo perhaps?

At the risk of making a fool of myself (because I've never actually used
sudo), I don't think that applies.

In my case, anyone can browse to http://localhost:631/ and see things.
You click "Printers" and it shows the printer to be "Stopped".  So you
click "Start Printer" and the browser pops up with a username/password
prompt.  The only account that seems to work for this is root's.

Not only is this annoying, it doesn't seem Linux-like to collect the
root password in such a way.  Is there a group that I'm supposed to add
users to so they can admin CUPS?

Anyhoo, I've now officially hijacked the thread.  Remember, the original
poster was really looking for a solution to why CUPS stopped the printer
in the first place.

-- Arran