Philip Lawatsch wrote:

My distcc setup is verified to work (compiling something else on the machines right now).

My problem is that emerge simply does ignore FEATURES="distcc" and instead uses gcc / g++ directly. Either emerge fails to tell the packages autoconf script to use distcc as a compiler or something else.

Yep, that sounds strange...
What about environment variables? On my system the distcc ebuild has installed the file /etc/env.d/02distcc

Are the variables mentioned in there available in your actual environment?

env-update && source /etc/profile
might be helpful...

Looking at /usr/lib/portage/bin/ebuild.sh there are some references to distcc, take look and try to find out if some of the tests found might cripple your portage's use of distcc

I have run out of ideas... sorry!

/Andreas