Holly Bostick wrote:
Ian K wrote:
Hi.
My laptop has a Yamaha OPL3-SA2 soundcard, but the appropriate drivers will not recognize it.
It says the device is not found or busy. I AM SURE my soundcard is this, I checked my computer's specifications.
I enabled the appropriate kernel options in the 2.6.10 kernel, and compiled and such.
I then modprobed a few of the available ones. I did a DMESG and got the above error twice.
Just so you know, the soundcard is an ISA device.
Thanks!
Ian

You got "the above error twice"... there is no error above (at least, I don't see it).

So what was the error?

And what were the "appropriate options" you enabled in the kernel? Was one of them ISAPNP? Are you using ALSA or OSS?

What did you try to modprobe? "A few of the available ones" says little, especially when there is only one sound card actually present, so why would you modprobe other hardware that is not present? What was the output of the modprobe(s)? The actual make and model of the laptop would be useful too, in case it in particular has some known quirks.

You're right in that this chip should work, but without some more specific information as to what your settings are, and what the error output is, we're just flying blind.

Holly

Hey Holly, sorry about the lack of information.
I got the error:
Yamaha OPL3-SA soundcard not found or device busy
It was repeated twice throughout the dmesg at the times when I did the modprobes.
I modprobed the following:
(I wont include the .ko or path)
snd-mpu401-uart
snd-opl3-synth
snd-opl3-lib
snd-rawmidi
snd-hwdep
snd-seq-instr
snd-seq-midi-emul
snd-ainstr-fm
snd-seq-midi
snd-opl3sa2ÂÂÂ <-That gives me the DMESG error

My laptop is the ancient Toshiba Satellite Pro 445CDX.

I am (trying) using ALSA under KDE 3.3.2

I have ISA support selected in the kernel options, although I dont
know where ISAPNP is located.

I guess thats it for now... Oh yes, inside the sound system of the
control center, (KDE) when you select the hardware tab, what
audio device should i use? Autodetect?

Thanks!
Ian

begin:vcard