Hi,
i  have problems writing the dvd writer... i remember to have similar problems
when I brought CDRW.. with all mungling with devfs also remember that the
problem happen to be /etc/security/console.perms
Now I'm tring to make the similar correction i.e. :

<burner>=/dev/scd* /dev/sg* /dev/pcd* /dev/pg* /dev/cdwriter
/dev/scsi/*/*/*/*/generic \
    /dev/ide/host0/bus1/target0/lun0/cd

the last row is for the dvd-writer (the way k3b detect it)..
Now is there a way to activate these changes w/o restarting the computer ???
So if not this is the problem I can continue tests and not convert to
"windows-junkie",
restarting and restarting and restarting :"))

afaik this is a part of a PAM ftamework

tia