I've finally got Gentoo installed on my wife's computer except for one
small hitch; it won't let me set root's password.  I tried it locally
(sitting at her computer) and it gave me an error, so I started up the
sshd server and ssh'd over from my PC and tried it again getting the
same error.  I have pasted the output below:

livecd / # passwd
Illegal instruction
livecd / # passwd root
Illegal instruction
livecd / #

Is there a way to fix this?  What went wrong?  I updated the shadow
package, but other than that I can't think of anything that would cause
this.  I can set root's password before I go into the chrooted
environment, but when I'm actually in the chrooted environment I get the
output you see above...