W.Kenworthy wrote:
LVM the gentoo way works fine: I highly recommend for any system needing
multiple partitions

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/lvm2.xml

I would agree and this is a good document to follow. But unfortunately, it does not cover the udev case.

following the instructions in the above document,

I set up a raid 1 system on md0 (partition type fd)
I then created all of the elements for a volume group
mounting and copying files works fine
I then discover I need to run udev
I convert according to documents other people have given me
it mostly works okay except that the the raid array is no longer being detected. It appears that the raid code is invoked before the modules or the devices for the external ide array are available.

So that's the path I'm currently investigating.

bah, humbug

---eric

--
http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/13.03/view.html?pg=5

The result of the duopoly that currently defines "competition" is that
prices and service suck. We're the world's leader in Internet
technology - except that we're not.